Wednesday, February 6, 2008

You want the truth??

Okay, so sometimes as a pharmacist you don't tell the whole truth. Take the following story as an example. A lady came to the drop off window with a prescription for an anti-depressant. I told her it would take about 5 to 10 minutes and went ahead and filled it. After she was rung up she wanted to be counseled on the prescription.

Customer: "So I was wondering if I could drink a few beers while I'm taking this medication."

Me: "Oh yeah, that is okay. There is no interaction with this medication and alcohol. Although, at first until you get used to it may make you a little drowsy and alcohol could intesify that side effect."

Customer: "But if I just have a beer or two that is okay."

Me: "Yeah, no problem."

Customer: "What if I drink like two or three beers a day, is that okay?"

Me: (Actually, I was thinking at this point well, I thought we were talking about the ocassional drink but you are talking about drinking like 2 or 3 beers a day, I'm pretty sure that makes you an alcoholic...but I don't really want to get into that with you so...) "That's okay."

Here is a case where I don't tell the whole truth. The only reason anyone would be drinking 3 beers a day is if they are in college (which this lady has far surpassed and I am pretty sure never went) or if they are an alcoholic. Of course you shouldn't be drinking that much lady!! The whole truth is that it is not okay to drink 3 beers a day, but the partial truth and my answer to keep my counsel session short and sweet, is yes, you can drink with this medication.

7 comments:

shauna said...

Yeh! Another post. I always wonder how much people expect from their pharmacists. I've asked pretty common questions, but I've overheard people asking questions where they seem to expect a mini-doctor's appointment without the co-pay. I'm guessing people often expect you to diagnose problems without seeing their doctor first. (I know I've done that--but your my sister. It's one of the perks, right?)

Love ya!

jen said...

Yeah, I get a lot of mini-doc-appointment-type questions but I don't mind helping out my family. Free of charge for you anytime! love ya

erin said...

Holy drinker! I barely drink that much water in a day. That's funny though.

tara said...

dude, it would've been awesome if you just all out called her an alcoholic. i don't know how you keep a straight face with some of these nut jobs. wow, 3 or 4 beers with your anti-depressents...sounds like an exciting weekend!

jen said...

I almost wanted to call her out but I didn't want to talk to her that long, ya know...what can I say, I'm a pharmacist not a therapist

shauna said...

You're not a therapist? Darn! I could really use a free session... Seriously. :)

jason said...

I love talking to the halfway drunk folks because they are for good stories later.